College Essay Writing Class
Get a head start on your college essay this summer!
July 10-17 OR July 17-21 (choose one)
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
John Adams Middle School
For Rising 12th Grade Students Only
You can complete this form and return it in the following ways:
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (this option is best if paying with a credit card)
- Mail it or drop it off in person to the Education Foundation at 1645 16th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404 (this option is best if paying with check or cash)
- Fax it to the Education Foundation at 310-450-5959
Questions? Contact Rachel Faulkner at 310-450-8338 x70396 or email@example.com.
Get a head start on your college essay – don’t stress about your college applications once school starts in the fall! In this workshop, you will learn some important tools about personal writing for an academic audience. We will examine various prompts and then delve into the writing process in order to have a solid working draft by week’s end. This is unlike most writing that you’ve done throughout high school and requires that you depict a clear personal voice. You want this essay to reflect your truest self! Come work in a small group setting with a fun and supportive teacher to discover how to do so!
About the Teacher
Jenna Gasparino has been teaching high school English for the past 15 years. Her primary experience has been with 11th and 12th graders at Samohi and, more recently, at Harvard-Westlake School. Teaching personal writing, and specifically the college essay, is one of her favorite things to do. She loves to support students as they embark on this exploration of self for such an important rite of passage.
Fees, Payment and Refund Policy:
- $500 for the one-week class, which includes a $50 non-refundable registration fee.
- Credit card fee: There is a $15 (3%) fee for all credit card charges.
- Returned Check Charges: There is a $25 fee for any returned check.
- We accept payment in cash, check, money order and credit card (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex).
- Payment in full is due at the time of registration and is required in order to complete the student’s class enrollment.
- , unless the class is cancelled by SMMEF.
- Refund Policy: All requests for refunds must be made (mail, fax or email) no later than
A limited number of scholarships are available only to students enrolled in SMMUSD’s free and reduced lunch program. The fee is $100 for free lunch students and $200 for reduced lunch students. Please submit a copy of your student’s free or reduced lunch eligibility notification letter with your registration. If you do not have your letter, please contact Patsy Herschberger in SMMUSD Food Services to obtain a new copy (firstname.lastname@example.org, 310-450-8338 x70228).
There is no food service. Students are asked to bring their own snacks to have during the class break.
All non-SMMUSD students must provide a current record of immunization at the time of enrollment.
We require all students to follow the SMMUSD behavior policies in effect during the regular school year. All SMMUSD policies and consequences will apply. If you need a copy of these policies, please email email@example.com. Students will not be allowed off campus at any time during class hours.
If students have a laptop, it is best to bring it with them. If not, a computer will be provided.
No transportation is provided.
The minimum number of students in each class is six students; the maximum number is 13. Once a class is full, a waiting list will be kept and you will be notified if we are able to open another class section. If SMMEF does not reach the minimum number of six students each week, we will have to cancel the program and all families will be refunded.